Why G.I. Concepts?
Very simply, G.I. Concepts is the best at what we do. If you need military uniforms, costumes, research or technical advice, actors costumed as solders, military vehicles, props, weapons or set dressing, G.I. Concepts can provide all of these services and more. We are also able to provide them with a higher level of authenticity and at a considerable cost savings to you. The reason we are able to do this is because we are a one-stop-shop. We have a pool of over 250 in-house actors and background talent who represent all races, ages and physical descriptions. We also have a huge in-house inventory of vehicles, firearms, uniforms, costumes and props, as well as an established network of contacts and working relationships going back 35 years who can provide everything from horses and livestock to ships & aircraft. Additionally, we have a team of full time, in-house, military experts whose knowledge and expertise span the time-line from ancient Rome to the present day. No other military theatrical service provider has these abilities. One call to G.I. Concepts can set you up with a technical expert for your time period, reserve your soldiers and their costumes, arrange your weapons rentals and also provide you with accurate props or scenery. We can also suggest appropriate sets and shooting locations in the Southern California area. For larger productions, we can travel to any location in the world and we can train background or principal actors with an abbreviated "boot camp" course. With G.I. Concepts, it's no longer necessary to make 20 or 30 contacts to coordinate your military theatrical needs.What we do:
At G.I. Concepts, our main focus is providing original, authentic, military uniforms and equipment for large studio productions. Our most frequently requested service is to provide a complete and original vintage uniform ensemble with all of the appropriate insignia, equipment accessories, etc. presented on a manikin. Once it is established that the uniform(s) you have chosen are appropriate for your project by historical research confirmation, G.I. Concepts will send high resolution detailed images, descriptions and measurements to your production team or the costume reproduction house of your choice. With the information and images provided by G.I. Concepts, any uniform can be reproduced in any quantity and any size for your principal or background talent.
Please browse through our photo galleries on this website for over 1,000 examples of our authentic uniforms and military accessories from past projects. If you see images of the uniform or military accessories that you're looking for, please tell us about your project. We will provide you with the real thing, a 100% original equipment item or costume ensemble that is accurate and authentic in every detail for your project. These items are typically 50, 75 or 100 years old or more and are one-of-a-kind museum pieces from our extensive archive and are not for wear or rent. They are provided for your costuming department to make patterns from and copy to outfit your principle and background talent. However, no project is too big or too small. We have worked on zero-budget student films and independent art projects, as well as feature film and academy award winning motion pictures with A-list principal talent. Regardless if you only need one military uniform, or if you need 500 or 1,000 uniforms, we can provide you with multiple options that suit your needs. G.I. Concepts can provide the following:
- Actors who are already familiar with their costume and weapons for most smaller projects.
- Contacts to companies who specialize in making authentic reproduction ready-to-wear military uniforms and equipment items appropriate for your project.
- Actors who have prior military service.
- All of our own costumes for smaller productions. Usually no need to rent anything from other sources.
- Our own blank firing weapons and firearms in most cases.
- Trucks, jeeps, tanks, ships and military aircraft (via our contacts) when needed.
- An on-set military expert and technical advisor with respectable credentials who specializes in the time period of your production.
- Research and photographs, motion picture film or other documented examples of the costumes you need. Everything we do is backed up by documentation and photographic evidence. That's why the authenticity of your production will be 100% correct.
Our sincere goal is to help you put together a historically authentic and accurate show. We are honest and fair. Customer service is our number one priority. Additionally, all of our staff are friendly and always easy to work with.Benefits of working with G.I. Concepts:
Other Service Providers:
- Save time and budget by using a one-stop-shop for military technical advice, props, costumes, set dressing and background talent.
- No need to hire a separate gun wrangler.
- No need to hire a separate technical advisor.
- No need to track down multiple sources for your military prop, costume and technical advice needs.
G.I. Concepts rates;
- Do not provide actors who are familiar with their costume and weapons.
- Do not and cannot provide any of their own costumes. You need to rent everything for them from multiple other sources.
- Do not provide any prop weapons of any kind.
- Do not provide any military vehicles of any kind.
- You need to pay extra for a gun wrangler and for weapons rental.
- Uniform ensemble with appropriate accessories presented on a manikin that is accurate and authentic for your production, including research and original photographs (when possible); $100.
- Background talent/military extras; Typically, between $100 and $250 per person, per day, depending on the production and costumes required. Costumes & uniforms; Included. Weapons & firearms; Included.
- Technical advice & coordinating; Usually included, depending on the production and services required.
10 costumed soldiers with weapons and military advisor = $1,500 per day total (basic rate). Compare this to $5,000 sourced from other providers.Other providers rates;
The Bottom Line
- Research; not offered.
- Original costume archive; not offered.
- Actors; Usually between $50 and $100 per day, depending on union or non-union. Some military service providers charge as much as $200 per actor per day, not including a costume or weapon of any type.
- Costumes & uniforms; "Western Costume" and "History for Hire" usually charge between $200 and $300 per outfit, per day for a complete uniform with personal equipment.
- Weapons & firearms; Gun wranglers usually charge about $200 per weapon per day.
- Technical advisor & coordinator; anywhere between $500 per show to $5,000 or more.
Be smart, use your production time and budget wisely. Don't waste it on a dozen different service providers when we can provide you with everything you need with one phone call.The Fine Print
Occasionally, we do receive requests for esoteric, bizarre or unusual costumes that we simply cannot provide. We do not have robot costumes, fantasy outer-space suits, etc. However, it doesn't hurt to ask and if we can't help you, we might know someone who can. Occasionally productions require unusual items, large quantities or other needs that exceed our limits. In these circumstances, we will combine our inventory with the additional items that need to be purchased or rented from other sources. Sometimes this is unavoidable but G.I. Concepts can still save you time and money with our consultation, technical advisory, coordinating and authenticity services, even if you only require some or none of our actors, props or costumes.
Most of our photo galleries do not include images of manufacturer's tags, ink stamps, seam stitching, original owner's names, etc., simply because 99% of our clients have no interest in that. Unfortunately, this may be a disappointment for military collectors who visit our site, but these additional images would also double the size of this site unnecessarily. Of course, detailed and close-up images of any of our items are available upon request. This website will constantly be expanding and we will eventually be including more detailed information on some of our items, including background and research on the history of the individuals who actually owned them during their time in service.
At this time we have nothing in our inventory that is for sale.
We are usually very busy so our services are booked first-come, first-served. It is always in your best interest to give us as much advance notice of your shooting schedule as possible. G.I. Concepts cannot organize, equip and deliver soldiers to your set location if you wait until the last minute to call us. Typically, we require two weeks notice to make preparations. We can accommodate some smaller projects in less time but we do ask that you contact us as early as possible. If your project is shooting on a date that has been reserved for another project, we cannot double-book. All of G.I. Concept's services are subject to availability. G.I. Concepts asks that all compensation for services rendered be delivered and paid in full within two weeks (14 days) after shooting. All rates and quotes are cash prices. If you need to hire G.I. Concepts personnel as temporary employees and you require tax deductions and W-2 forms, our rates are slightly higher to compensate for any deductions subtracted by your payroll department. All personal liability and property damage insurance issues will be agreed upon prior to shooting and should be no different than any other coverage for a typical production.
We understand budget restrictions and we will always make every effort to stretch your dollar to provide you with everything we possibly can. However, we cannot work our actors over 12 consecutive hours. The term "per day" refers to a time period of more than 4 and less than 12 hours. Any shoots lasting 13 hours or longer will be charged for an additional day. In other words, if G.I. Concepts agrees to provide our services for "one day", that means 12 hours or less, not 13, 14 or 15 hours. Additionally, we ask that you provide the entire cast and crew with full craft services for all shoots lasting over 4 hours. Reduced rates are available for very short shooting schedules expected to wrap in under 4 hours. Please call us and we'll customize a quote for you.
G.I. Concepts' personnel are also eager to help out on the set. If your art department, PA's, AD's or FX people need a hand, we are happy to help. Loading & unloading equipment and cleaning up isn't fun for anyone but we understand the sooner it's done, the better. That's why we will always offer to help pick up trash, put things away, load equipment, etc.
We provide your project with authentic costumes, props and weapons so please consider their value. Many of the items we use for film work are extremely rare and expensive. A simple "prop" to you may be an irreplaceable one-of-a-kind item to us. None of our costumes and props are disposable or replaceable. Many of the items in our inventory are the only examples in existence outside of museums. We do account for normal use of our inventory but we do not bring things to the set to be destroyed. If you need to cut, burn or otherwise ruin a costume or prop, we can usually buy a disposable copy specifically for your project and include the purchase price into our fees. Unless otherwise agreed upon, none of our costumes or props will be subjected to excessive make-up, stage blood, paint, special effects, salt water or any other potentially destructive conditions. If the property of G.I. Concepts or personal property of our employees is destroyed due to carelessness, neglect or willful disregard of this policy, the production company will be billed for 10 times the estimated value of the destroyed item(s).
Employees of G.I. Concepts do not perform stunt work. At no time will any G.I. Concepts personnel risk their lives or personal safety or risk any injury during the course of a theatrical production.
G.I. Concepts will not participate in productions that portray Americans or American soldiers in a negative light. The only exceptions to this are accurate recreations of historically documented or actual events. If your project calls for Americans to portray murderers, rapists, thieves, mentally ill, traitors, cowards, deserters, racists, drug addicts, etc., please do not ask us to help you. Additionally, G.I. Concepts does not and will not support, condone or endorse any political affiliation or party and we have a zero tolerance for any attempt to marginalize or glorify naziism or fascism in any form whatsoever.
By offering to hire G.I. Concepts for any project, you agree to all of the terms and conditions listed above.